Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Just a name

Define


Meaghan. I looked it up and all it says is a weltch name originally a pet name from meg or meggie. To be completly honest I dont think that describes me at all. Not one single bit. I dont think my name tells you how I like my coffee, or how I like to dance in rainstroms barefoot. It doesnt say that at times I'm known to be sad, to cry myself to sleep. I dont think seven little letters could tell you anything about me quite frankly. My name doesnt define me, doesnt define what I'm capable of. In fact in the definition it practically just repeats another name. I am just me whoever that may be. I am staying up late with my best friend dancing around the house, I am sunsets and cold mornings. I am warm hugs and smiles. I am whoever I wish at any given moment. I dont think people understand that, they dont understand that I dont care what you call me, meag, Meaghan, Meggie, or even Bob. I feel as though my name is just a shell, a outside layer of protection for those who need that sorta thing. For those who need to have name for things, who cant appreciate whats beyond that name. To strangers I am exactly just Meaghan. Just a name that someone somewhere made up to simplify things, so that maybe some people could feel recognized. I know differently. I know that things and people, just like me aren't just names. They are quiet whispers and warm breezes, shouting, and the tears that stream down their face. They are the air we breathe and some creatures home. I cant simply look at anything and think oh that is just a tree, or oh you are just a Meaghan. I am definelty not just a Meaghan. I think we all take things for granted by thinking such shallow thoughts. I know that there is more to me and everything else than just a name. I know that you are sometimes lonely, that you read before falling asleep, that you like your coffee black because it makes you feel strong drinking it. I know that you hate the way your hair falls around your shoulders. I know that I couldn't discover this by just thinking you are just a name you scribble on a peice of paper. I had to look deeper than that to realize that no matter how you spell your name, how you say it, or how it rolls of a strangers tounge there is something that keeps you alive that keeps you ticking, something that trully defines who you are as a person. For me, Meaghan just isnt that definition. Meaghan is exactly what it is, a name, there are thousands of babies born all the time named Meaghan but not one of them are exactly alike. We are all different, and I think we should be recognized as different, no wind storm, no tree, nothing is exactly like the other. I will not be defined by Meaghan. I want to be defined by the way my skin looks in the sun, by the way I stay up unitl 3 am just to watch scary movies with my siblings, how I laugh, how my eyes light up when discussing something I love. These moments, these are what define who I am. I will not judge you by your first name, I will not critize the way you spell it, I will simply look you in the eyes and wonder if you to love the way the sunset looks when it rains, if you laugh at everything I laugh at, if you have a lover waiting for you at home, or if your simply all alone enjoying your lonliness. I will not judge your name because I have no idea who you really are, just like you have no idea what makes me, me. I am Meaghan, but I am also much more than that, much more than a seven letter, undifined name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home

I walk into our home and you have incense burning. It smells like smoke and rotting pumpkins and I want so badly to tell you that it doesn&#...