Monday, August 18, 2014

The Untold Story of Brickley


I thought I loved the way he looked at me.

 I was wrong. It was all wrong. The thing was I loved much more than that. I love the way his teeth filled his smile and his words sounded like they blended together when he talked. This isn’t a love story I promise. This is a story of him and me, of the mistake that ended it all. My name is Brickley. Yes. Exactly like a brick you find creating a wall. There’s no explanation or some magical story of why my parents chose Brickley as my name. It’s just how it is. I am not good at explaining myself in a way that makes me seem interesting or exotic because quite frankly I am not.  I am 5’3”, I have long blonde curly hair that isn’t tamable, long scrawny arms that look something like dog bones, and feet that don’t quite fit my body yet.  I am 17, yes I am still young, and yes I am still trying to make my body match my insides. Let’s get to the point of this story. I bet you have questions, like who is “he”? What mistake? Well if you would hold on a second I would be able to tell you. His name is Jake, Jake Callory. Unlike me, I can explain him in a very interesting, exotic way. Jake is 5”6 he has dark brown hair that always looks combed, even when he just woke up. He has a smile that could melt the devils heart. He’s the kind of muscular guy who could squish a frail thing like me with one arm. Jake is majestic. He has a sense of power that shows without him even having to speak. Jake is also 17 years old but he has well filled his body by now and it matches his insides perfectly.  I am not comfortable with saying how much I fell for Jake at first sight. I said before this isn’t a love story. If you are looking for a love story maybe you should stop reading now but I really hope you don’t. The thing is this can’t be a love story. It can’t be a love story because Jake Callory is my murder. That’s right he killed me when no one was watching, it wasn’t a mistake like I said earlier, wasn’t a freak accident. Jake Callory, the supposedly love of my life shot me and left me to die. If you want me to explain what a shot wound feels like I will say this, stinging agonizing pain that doesn’t end quickly. The worst part of my murder was looking into the eyes of my killer, the eyes of someone I loved, someone I trusted. Jake Callory.  I remember the first night I met Jake at a party filled with high school students in minimum amounts of clothing and red solo cups. I know I know I am in high school I shouldn’t be drinking! We all know that everyone drinks, especially in high school. He was leaning against a wall, he looked like he was holding up the wall instead of the wall holding him up, and he was comfortable, relaxed and laughing. I was staring at him from across the room, telling my best friend how hot I thought he looked standing there, holding up the wall. I regret that conversation. I regret telling Anne how hot Jake Callory looked because she then told me to go talk to him and I did and I shouldn’t have. We talked all night, me and Jake Callory. He held my hand, kissed my cheek, walked me to Anne’s car for a ride home. Jake did the things that a nice boy would do. Jake did the things that I liked, that I wanted out of a boy.  We spent every second from that day on together. Jake walked me to my classes, gave me a ride home from school, and carried my books. I fell for him, he gained my trust and then he killed me.  It was our one year anniversary when I started noticing Jake acting different. He no longer carried my books and he yelled. He yelled at me when we were alone, when no one was watching. Jake would claim that I was cheating on him with people from our school that I hardly talked to, he would call me names. No one noticed. No one saw how Jake could be when we were alone. He was always so nice when we were surrounded by friends or family. That was what I loved about Jake, the nice moments. The moments that I remembered why I had fell for him. Those nice moments with Jake is what made the horrible moments even more confusing. I didn’t understand why he would snap, why he would yell at me. It scared me and I was hardly ever one to get scared.  I felt trapped, manipulated into staying with him because things would seem fine and then they weren’t.  I, Brickely someone who couldn’t be told what to do, was now getting told constantly who I could see, who I couldn’t by a man I fell in love with. Did I being in love with him make it okay? Did it make Jake telling me I couldn’t see Anne anymore because she was “a bad influence” okay?  Jake Callory was a convincing monster. Jake Callory planned my murder and got away with it. He killed me because I wasn’t strong enough to fight. I wasn’t strong enough to say no, to escape, to tell my family. It was a Friday night I and Jake were hanging out at my house, my parents were out of town and we were watching a movie.  Everything seemed fine, we were laughing and cuddling. I was playing with his soft brown hair, on the edge of falling asleep and being awake. He then told me to make out with him. I and Jake hardly ever made out because I didn’t want things to end up going further than that; I know what making out usually leads to. I told him no.  Jake of course got angry, throwing a fit, calling me names and telling me that I had to or else I didn’t love him. He told me that he would tell the whole school that I cheated on him. I still told him that I didn’t want to, he said if I didn’t he would kill me. Jake knew what he could force me to do after making out and so he was angry that I wouldn’t agree. He grabbed my face with one strong forceful hand, trying to force me to kiss him. I started to panic, you know the type of panic when you’re in water and you feel like you are drowning. I started pushing on his arm trying to make him let go. I was begging Jake to let go of my face. He wouldn’t and he just kept repeating that he would kill me over and over again. I was terrified of the psychotic look in Jake's eyes. They were no longer blue and welcoming; they were dark and filled with rage. He was no longer my Jake Callory, he was someone else. Jake was someone I no longer recognized, a predator.  I finally gave in, afraid of what would happen if I didn’t. I and Jake Callory made out. He tasted like cigarettes and had too much saliva floating around in his mouth.  That was the moment I fell out of love with Jake. I was forced to show affection towards him, affection that I didn’t want to give. He started climbing on top of me, sitting on me with his muscular, blue jeaned covered legs while his tongue still ventured inside of my now saliva filled mouth.  I had had enough. I started fighting back with my long, scrawny dog bone like arms. I was kicking and screaming fighting to break free but Jake Callory was stronger, bigger and faster than I was. Using all his body weight he held me down. I couldn’t escape I was stuck under his cigarette breathe and his blue jeaned covered legs. Jake Callory raped me, pulling me lime green colored shorts around my pale ankles. He then proceeded to ask me if I liked it while I was screaming and crying. I cried for help. I cried for my feeling of stupidity. I cried for not being able to escape the man I thought I loved.  After Jake climbed off of me pulling the jeans that were now around his ankles up over his muscular legs, I decided to try to run, run for the door, for the phone, run for my life. I barefoot, underwear wearing Brickley decided I wasn’t done fighting and I leaped, ran, tripped and stumbled as far as I could towards anything, the counter, the phone, the locked back door, until I felt a tiny metal bullet enter the middle of my scrawny back, this tiny bullet felt like a million tiny bullets all at once penetrating into my pale white skin. I turned around to see Jake Callory holding a black metal hand gun, smiling that smile that was teeth filled and gorgeous. I collapsed on the ground. That wicked trusting smile of Jake Callory’s being the last thing I would ever see again.  I felt blood, tons of blood. I was dizzy and kept picturing the neighbors, my mom, Anne, anyone walking in to save me, pick me up off the cold aluminum floor at any moment. No one did. Had no one heard the gun shot, my blood curling scream?  Was Antarctica to far for my parents to have heard that? Jake stood over me, watching my dark red blood cover the aluminum covered kitchen floor. I Brickely, died that night on the kitchen floor in a puddle of my own blood. The only person knowing what had happened being Jake Callory. I watched my funeral from above; it was as if I was in a dream I watched my parents cry, watched Anne give my eulogy, talking about old times I forgot we had. I was shouting to them the name of my killer “It was Jake!! Jake Callory! He did it! JAKKEEE!!”  Yet Jake was there, at my funeral, in the back row, in a back suit and tie, Crying. Why was he there? Didn’t he know he had killed me? Had he forgotten? Didn’t everyone know?! Jake was such a good pretender. I wasn’t the only one who fell for his acting and I was mad. Mad that he was at my funeral. Mad that the reports I stole out of my cases police file said that it was a burglary and that Jake had left my house hours before. I will never get justice.  They will always be searching for the wrong man. My name is Brickely and I was murdered by a man I thought I loved, a man I trusted.  Now you know my story, if you kept reading that is. This was not a love story. This was a story about a boy, about a death, about the ending of my life. This is a story I hope you tell. A story I hope keeps you from meeting the same fate as me. A story that I hope makes every woman stronger, ever person strong enough to fight predators.  Do not wait until it is too late. Recognize the sign of abuse and escape do not make excuses or stay out of “love”. Fight. Fight. Fight. 

 *This is in no way shape or form based off of a true story. No events in this story actually happened. This is a story on domestic violence that I myself entirely made up. If you or anyone you know is suffering from any form of sexual abuse, domestic violence, or put-downs please report it to someone you trust, a family member, friend, teacher, or authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home

I walk into our home and you have incense burning. It smells like smoke and rotting pumpkins and I want so badly to tell you that it doesn&#...